Sunday, April 22, 2007

Back to the future


Hi folks. Been a bit busy with the dissertation. Still am, actually. But stuff has come up. Last week I was wandering around the local Half-Price Books and I found a copy of The Conquest of Space, by Chesley Bonestell and Willy Ley. It's an early 50s printing, the sixth or seventh I think, but I don't care. I bought it because it's awesome, not because I'm planning on selling it someday. I picked up a cheap copy of the movie The Conquest of Space on DVD last fall, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't gotten around to watching it yet.

Also, there's a rocket launch at the park this coming Saturday. I've got a jillion unbuilt things in the closet, but I don't have time to build any of them. Mainly because I'm not planning on building any of them stock. For example, my Estes Big Daddy is going to be a stubby, camera-carrying, probably dual-motored V2. But that's going to take planning and work.

I do have an idea I want to try. I found some killer cones at Michaels last December. They are cardboard cones that use as bases for Christmas tree angels, I think. Irritatingly, the Michaels online catalog doesn't seem to have them so I can't show you a picture. The cones are about seven inches long, three or four inches across at the base, and a bit less than an inch across at the top. If I get some serious dissertating done this week, I might cannibalize the Star Dart or Sizzler to build a cone-finned rocket.

And hell, if I run out of time I'll take the Turd Burd and a Laughing Cow saucer and still have a wonderful time. Stay tuned for launch photos...I hope!

3 Comments:

Blogger Mike Taylor said...

For goshsakes, Wedel, NOW? Of all times, NOW you breathe life back into the cold, dead body of this site? Please in the name of all that is rational, stop. I suggest the following programme:

April-May: dissertation
June 2007-end of time: rockets.

1:31 AM  
Blogger Matt Wedel said...

Oh, shut up.

I spent half an hour throwing together a blog post, and this Saturday I'm going to blow the morning launching rockets. I already said about a zillion times in that post that I'm not going to build any new rockets unless I get my work done first. I don't think that taking one morning off for a hobby is outside all that is rational.

Although I will admit that my rocket phase last year went beyond the bounds of rationality. I think I can keep it under control this time.

I hope!

(For outside observers: Mike and I have zinging each other for years about how much we work and what we work on, but we're still bestest friends. Seriously.)

10:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should take a look at "Man Conquers Space" an upcoming sorta remake of Conquest of Space. You can find a link on my Inspiration page:
http://rocketry.wordpress.com/inspiration/

w.hill
the rocketry blog
http://rocketry.wordpress.com

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home